Impacting public health
New initiative expands reach of Healthy Kids, Healthy Families® (HKHF) to improve the health and wellness of more than one million children through community investments
Improving quality of life for Texans
In 2017, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX) announced a new $10 million community investment initiative to help raise awareness about the prevention and early detection of Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) – two conditions greatly impacting the life span, quality of life and productivity of Texans.
As a statewide health insurance company, BCBSTX is uniquely positioned to address issues affecting the health and wellness of Texans. This new initiative builds on an already successful BCBSTX community investment history that has touched many public health issues and hundreds of community organizations statewide.
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas will focus our community investment resources on a long-term effort to impact CKD and COPD. The two chronic illnesses profoundly affect the health and quality of life of thousands of Texans, and claims data reveals the two chronic illnesses driving up the cost of care.
Texas has the third largest number of CKD patients and the second highest expenditures for CKD in the United States. About 1 in 7 South Texas residents are affected by this disease, and another 1 in 5 adults are at high risk for developing symptoms, according to the Texas Kidney Foundation.
Our new approach to community investment is a more focused strategy intended to deliver maximum results against CKD and COPD. -Dr. Estaban Lopez, MD, MBA, Chief Medical Officer BCBSTX.
Additionally, an estimated 5.5 percent of Texans suffer from COPD – a chronic inflammatory lung disease that causes obstructed airflow from the lungs. Many people have COPD and go undiagnosed. Often, they enter the health care system in crisis and at an advanced disease stage.
BCBSTX’s Healthy Kids, Healthy Families grants will award up to $2 million annually to existing and new partners that are committed to preventing CKD and COPD – or will build programs to help slow the progression of the two chronic diseases.
2017 CKD and COPD HKHF Partners:
- American Lung Association: Has led the fight for healthy lungs and air as well as on eliminating tobacco use and related lung disease through advocacy, research and education for more than 100 years.
- National Kidney Foundation: Dedicated to the awareness, prevention and treatment of kidney disease.
- It’s Time Texas: A statewide nonprofit organization that believes Texas is best when Texans are healthy. They champion the movement for a healthier state by making healthy lifestyles more accessible for all Texans. Their programs and partnerships empower Texans to lead healthier lives, build healthier communities, and contribute to a healthier state.
- Texas Medical Association: Improves the health of all Texans by funding health improvement, quality of care and science and education initiatives that are empowered by the collaboration of medicine, business and community.
- State of Texas Kidney Foundation: Fights kidney disease through awareness, education and prevention resources.
- Bexar County Community Health Collaborative: Uses a synergistic approach to solving critical community health needs, while efficiently utilizing resources in the Bexar County region.
- MHP Salud: A national nonprofit organization that implements and runs Community Health Worker programs that provide peer health education, increase access to health resources and bring community members closer.
- Shannon Medical Center: A locally-owned health care system in San Angelo, Texas, has proudly served the West Texas area for 85 years. Dedicated to providing exceptional health care for its family, friends and neighbors in the area, the Medical Center serves as the regional health care resource with diverse clinical services to serve patients.